This is my go-to weekday breakfast. It is full of healthy ingredients that keeps hunger at bay until lunchtime rolls around. So versatile, easy to make and free of all extra sugars and fats found in store brought packaged muesli. You can store it in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 1 month or longer in the fridge.
This is my basic recipe but feel free to add or swap anything you like. All you need to include is 4 cups of Grains + 1/2 cup of Nuts + 1/2 cup of Seeds + Coconut Oil + Maple Syrup.
This can be served with milk (hot or cold) of your choice or over yogurt with fresh berries, sliced banana or any other fruit of your choosing. You could even make overnight oats by combining equal part muesli and milk and refrigerate overnight.
Prep Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 to 15 minutes
Makes approximately 16 serves
Serving Size 1/3 cup
4 cups Rolled Oats
1/2 cup Raw unsalted Nuts (almonds, macadamia, walnuts, pecans)
1/2 cup Seeds (pepitas, sunflower, sesame, chia)
1/2 cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
2 tbsp Maple Syrup
2 tbsp Coconut Oil
pinch of salt
1. Preheat oven to 170°C
2. In a large bowl combine all ingredients except the Coconut Flakes
3. Spread muesli evenly over 2 parchment-lined oven trays and toast for 6 minutes
4. Remove trays from the oven and rearrange the muesli on the trays to ensure even toasting and sprinkle the coconut flakes on top.
5. Return to the oven and bake for a further 5 – 8 minutes or until coconut flakes start to brown.
6. Remove trays from the oven and give the muesli a bit of a toss around and allow to cool.
Note: Nuts and seeds retain heat so to avoid burning ensure you keep an eye on them during cooking time.
Once completely cooled transfer to an airtight container for storage.