This is a favourite of mine because they take only about 20 minutes to prepare, can be used for snacking, entertaining and sprinkled over salads to add that extra crunch. Besides the health benefits of chickpeas, the addition of different spices can change the taste completely. Whether you like a little heat by adding chilli powder or cayenne pepper, a bit of garlic powder to keep those vampires away or simply salty the choice is yours.
The Benefits of LegumesHave you heard about the amazing benefits of including legumes in your daily healthy eating plan? These tasty little morsels are jam-packed full of fibre which is a superfood for the healthy microbiome in your gut. Legumes are also an excellent source of protein and are included as a vegetable when aiming for your 5 serves a day. Just think that you can say goodbye to those expensive, pre-packaged snack foods that are no good for you or the environment and replace them with delicious, satisfying, healthy treats that are so easy and inexpensive to make at home.
1 x can of organic chickpeas
2 x tablespoons of olive oil
Salt and Pepper
Spices (optional) remember you can add more for extra flavour
Suggestions for Spices
Hot and Spicy – ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper & ½ teaspoon of mild smoked paprika
Garlicy – 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
Salty – add extra salt (I like the pink Himalayan)
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees Celsius (425 Fahrenheit)
- Drain and rinse chickpeas well then rub them dry with paper kitchen towel removing as much of the skins as possible. Make sure they are completely dry to ensure a super crispy result.
- In a bowl, toss the chickpeas with the olive oil and salt ensuring they are well coated. If you need a little extra oil, now is the time to add it.
- Spread the chickpeas evenly over a lined baking tray or use a baking sheet.
- Place in preheated oven and roast for around 15-20 minutes giving the tray a good shake a couple of times during cooking to ensure they are evenly roasted.
- Keep a good eye on them while they are roasting to ensure they don’t burn. All ovens are different and with a little trial and error, you will find the right temperature and cooking time to suit you.
- Remove from the oven and while the chickpeas are still warm toss through your spices. Caution: These get really hot so beware.
That’s it! Once cooled these little golden gems are ready to eat.
A little note: these are addictive so I generally make 2 batches at a time and store them in an airtight container for impromptu snacking or entertaining.